Saturday, July 12, 2008

If you come to visit, lock up your toothbrush!


Patrick and Matthew arrived home, after being gone for a month, on June 29th. Please keep in mind that yesterday was July ELEVENTH as you read this story. That means TWELVE days had elapsed since the boys came home. This fact will bear more relevance as you read this story!
As we were getting ready to leave the house yesterday, I was under the usual pressure of trying to get six people completely cleaned, dressed, combed, and appropriately ready to face the rest of the world. The older boys had helped me by brushing the teeth of the younger ones, and I had already reminded Matthew and Patrick several times to brush their OWN teeth. I was in the hall bathroom curling my hair, when Patrick finally came in to brush his teeth.

He looked at the toothbrush holder, and wanted to know WHERE his toothbrush had gone. I suddenly remembered that several WEEKS ago, while they were away, I had thrown away ALL the toothbrushes, which I do every other month or so, in the interests of hygiene. I always have a large supply of brand new, spare toothbrushes under the sink.

I stopped what I was doing and stared at Patrick as this realization hit me.
"Son, " I asked, "Your toothbrush has been gone a long time! What have you been using to brush your teeth the past two weeks???"

He innocently pointed at the tall purple toothbrush in the cup, the ONLY adult toothbrush in there (do you see where this is headed??). He said, "I've been using that one!".

I swallowed and tried to be calm. For some reason, when I am pregnant, the oddest things can gag me unexpectedly, and I could feel that reflex happening in my throat! "Patrick, that is MOMMY'S toothbrush. Have you been using it the whole time you've been home???" He nodded. I continued, "WHY did you not ask me for another toothbrush? You know I always have lots of new toothbrushes!!" I was so completely grossed out, *I* was trying not to whine!

Patrick shrugged. "I didn't want to bother you, and I never thought of it unless I was trying to hurry up and get ready to go somewhere, or get in bed!".

Matthew was in the doorway by this time. I looked at him. "What have YOU been using to brush your teeth??" He grinned and answered "Mouthwash!".

I give up!!! I'm calling the dentist to see if I can have my mouth disinfected on Monday. :)

3 comments:

Jamie said...

ROFLOL!!! Yuck, yuck, yuck! I know what you mean about gag reflex! I can't stand to wipe a poopy bottom anymore and today my mom got sick and I was sick just from hearing her....my whole lunch partly on my arm and partly on my vehicle...yuck!

Naomi said...

well... i guess he was trying to be thoughtful and considerate... that is a good story, thanks for sharing!

Angela Sundara... etc said...

Sonny pretty much ONLY uses mouthwash... and that's ONLY when I leave a bottle in the shower, and most ONLY when he's wanting something... if you KWIM. LOL! -Japangela